At Rapid Tune we service and repair clutches, gearboxes and drivelines on all makes and models of vehicles. The automatic transmission is a major component of your vehicle, and regular maintenance will extend the life of this sophisticated and expensive piece of equipment. Our transmission service includes:
- Clutch replacement and flywheel machining
- Hydraulic clutch repairs and maintenance
- Manual transmission, transaxle and differential servicing and repairs
- Drive shaft repairs
- Bearing and seal repairs and service
Service and Repair for All Types of Vehicles
Regardless of whether your vehicle’s automatic transmission is a modern computer-controlled unit or an older mechanical type, our team at Rapid Tune are automotive experts with the equipment and experience to service and maintain it.
It is extremely important that the correct transmission fluid and transmission filter are flushed and changed on a regular basis. Long-distance travel and towing will contribute to excessive wear and tear on your automatic transmission. For the modest cost of correct and regular transmission servicing, you can save yourself thousands of dollars in costly automatic transmission repairs and prolong your transmission’s life.
At Rapid Tune, all repairs are completed with care and value for money in mind. We want you to be satisfied with our service. Book an appointment today with our experienced team. We are even open on Saturdays!
Signs You Should Schedule an Auto Transmission Service or Repair
Your transmission is critical to your automobile’s performance and reliability. It is what helps power your engine and wheels. However, most vehicle owners know little about auto transmissions and tend to wait until there is a problem before scheduling a standard service or repair.
If you notice that your transmission is not performing as expected, it may be time for a transmission service, repair, replacement or rebuild. Here are signs to watch for that let you know it is time for an auto transmission repair:
- Check engine light: This is often the earliest warning that something needs attention. Don’t ignore that blinking light; make an auto transmission appointment immediately.
- Slow or hesitant gear changes: If your auto transmission hesitates, slips or fails to change gears, it’s time to get it checked.
- Abnormal sounds: Listen for new noises like clunking, humming, buzzing or whining. That means something is wrong, and failing to address it could worsen the problem and may eventually lead to complete transmission failure.
- Abnormal behaviour: Shaking, trembling or grinding while trying to make gear changes is not normal. Schedule an honest service with our Rapid Tune professionals to diagnose and fix the problem.
- Burning smell: You should never experience a burning smell when your vehicle is in good repair. The smell of burning rubber during gear changes could mean your transmission fluid is overheated. Burned fluid is fluid that is not protecting your transmission adequately or cooling correctly and may affect gear shifts.
- Leaking transmission fluid: When your fluid levels drop, it can no longer effectively prevent friction or overheating or allow smooth gear changes. Watch for signs of red or black fluid leaking under your engine and contact Rapid Tune immediately.
Scheduled Maintenance Extends the Life of Your Transmission
The average life of a transmission is approximately 10 years from when you purchase a new vehicle, as long as it has received regular servicing. Keeping your transmission for its full useful life expectancy means keeping the parts in good repair and the fluid clean and at the right levels.
A Rapid Tune transmission specialist can advise you of the best service plan for your car to keep it working in top form. We can discuss your driving habits, such as the types of roads you normally travel on and how many kilometres you normally drive each month, to come up with the best schedule for you. We value our customers and want to ensure they stay safe while on the road.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Transmission Service?
Just like an oil change or tyre check, assessing the health of your transmission is a regular part of routine car maintenance. In a routine check, one of the main functions of service is the transmission flush. This simple but vital task entails draining the old fluid that may contain dirt and contaminants and replacing it with new fluid.
In addition to the transmission fluid change, a comprehensive auto transmission car servicing appointment should include:
- Replacing the filter
- Inspecting the transmission pan and sump pump
- Cleaning the pan
- Replacing the transmission pan gasket
What Is Auto Transmission Fluid?
Your auto transmission has moving mechanical parts that require lubrication. Transmission fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid that cools and greases the parts so they move smoothly. It protects against:
- Sludge that can form at high temperatures
- Friction that can damage parts
- Pressure during extreme loads
- Viscosity and proper flow in low temperatures
How Often Should I Have a Transmission Servicing Appointment?
Your owner’s manual is the most reliable reference for how often you should have your car serviced. The standard recommendation for service intervals depends upon the type of transmission you have.
Transmission fluid becomes contaminated over time. The metal gears and bearings create flakes and particles of metal as they wear. The fluid starts to collect these contaminants that prevent it from working as it should, causing damage to the parts if a transmission flush isn’t performed. Typically, manufacturers recommend transmission service every 50,000 to 100,000 kilometres.
In any type of transmission, the fluid will eventually become dirty over time and use. Contaminated transmission fluid is ineffective and may cause damage that shortens the life of automatic transmissions if not flushed regularly. The average recommended transmission service interval for most automatic cars is every 100,000 to 150,000 kilometres.
What Type of Transmission Fluid Should I Use?
Just as the service intervals differ by the type of transmission, so does the type of fluid that you use. Automatic transmissions need automatic transmission fluid. Check your owner’s manual for the type of fluid recommended for your manual transmission, as it could vary from hypoid gear oil to motor oil to ATF.
Is Maintenance Required Between Services?
It never hurts to check your transmission fluid levels between visits, as low fluid can take a toll on parts. Even without obvious signs, it could be possible for your fluid to run low at times. Remember to check for red or black fluid under your engine where you usually park that would indicate a leak. Always pay attention to the check engine light and schedule a service appointment immediately if it comes on.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace a Transmission?
Replacing a transmission is costly. That’s why we recommend our friendly service to diagnose issues and protect vehicle transmissions from unnecessary wear and tear. Periodic service can help identify unnatural wear or emerging issues even before you notice any symptoms.
Preventive maintenance is the best way to keep from having to pay for a complete transmission rebuild or replacement. If you do have to replace your transmission, the price can vary. An average estimate for a new replacement is anywhere from $1,000 to $6,000. However, that is only for the parts. The labour can range from $500 to $1,200.
What Happens If I Never Get Transmission Service?
If you never have your transmission serviced, you can expect to eventually start to experience all the warning signs listed above, such as noises, shaking, grinding and delay or difficulty when trying to shift gears. Parts will wear and contaminate the fluid, leading to even more pronounced issues and eventually a total failure of the transmission long before the end of its expected life if it were properly cared for.
Don’t Slack on Scheduling Transmission Service
If your transmission fails, you can expect to pay anywhere from $2,300 up to over $6,000 for parts and labour to replace it. Don’t risk going without necessary transmission service. To keep your car in good working condition, book online today.